Top Menu

Another Open Carry Fail—Criminal Takes Gun From Man in Columbus, Ohio

Last month in a Columbus, Ohio gas station, a man had his handgun stolen while he was paying the cashier. The criminal took the gun from the unsuspecting customer, fled the scene and the police have not apprehended the now armed suspect.

Photo [Google Maps]

Gun Disarm Incident in Columbus, Ohio —

Columbus Police say that on August 24th, around 10:00 PM, at a gas station in the 600 block of East Hudson Street, a criminal stole a handgun from the victim while he payed the cashier. Local ABC News 6 reported that the police state:

The victim was standing at the counter when the suspect reached into the victim’s pocket and stole a handgun. The suspect then fled on foot.

Have you seen the man in the red shirt? Police say he stole another person’s gun while in line at a gas station. (Columbus police)

Based on the police statement, the victim was carrying the gun “in his pocket.” It isn’t clear if he carried the gun in a pocket holster, or his pocket was the holster. The victim may not have been ‘technically’ open carrying his handgun, but it was visible. I’m not sure the victim’s intent to conceal the gun or not matters much, Other than an opportunity to mention two things.

First, that you should always carry a gun in a proper holster. Here is one example of what can happen when you don’t.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Mickey Schuch (@carrytrainer)

Second, that if you intend to carry concealed, you need to ensure the gun is…concealed.

Open Carry Gun Disarms Happen —

This isn’t the only incident where a criminal took a gun from an unsuspecting victim. For example, in this video we see a criminal take a gun from a victim by force. Here are just a couple more incidents similar to this recent one in Ohio.

Stolen Off Carrier’s Hip, And Prevention Tips

Suspect who stole gun from man open carrying at Detroit gas station arrested for unrelated crime

I know some will say that millions of people open carry every day, and I am just cherry picking a few stories to confirm my bias against open carry. It may be true to say the number of guns taken from open carriers is low. However, the number of guns taken from concealed carriers is even lower. What I mean is that although I’ve searched, I haven’t found an incident where a criminal disarmed a person who carried their gun concealed.

suspect physically dominates victim

Some Considerations —

We don’t want to provide any criminal with a free gun, but there is even more to worry about. Someone willing to steal a gun from your hip may also be willing to use it against you or anyone else. Here is one incident where that is exactly what happened.

I am not a fan of open carry. It’s not a “rights” issue, it is a tactical and practical decision. But, supposing it is legal to do so, you may still choose to open carry. If you do, at least consider comparing the answers to the following questions to any benefits of open carry.

Help for Finding an Alternative to Open Carry —

If you choose to open carry for comfort or ease of draw, consider this course called Holsters Concealment and Carry Positions. This is the most thorough course that breaks down the pros and cons of different carry methods, as well as the attributes of a holster that provide for adjustment and ultimate comfort and concealment.

Anyone with information about the suspect’s identity is asked to contact Det. Miles at either (614) 645-2090 or [email protected] Another option is to call Central Ohio Crime Stoppers at 614-461-TIPS.

, ,

25 Responses to Another Open Carry Fail—Criminal Takes Gun From Man in Columbus, Ohio

1. Clark Kent September 21, 2022 at 3:10 pm #

I call open carry the ‘free gun zone’. And you can’t have a consistent, repeatable draw from anything but a holster. The LAST thing you want in a critical defensive situation is fishing around in a pocket for your handgun.

• Gary September 23, 2022 at 10:46 am #

Practice from your pocket. I do it daily. I KNOW where it is ,at all times, and how to retrieve it effectively. Just saying.

• Clark Kent October 1, 2022 at 6:24 pm #

No, you don’t. Especially during or after a physical struggle. But thanks for playing.

2. bob September 21, 2022 at 6:26 pm #

All open carry does is tell the perp who to shoot 1st. Carrying a gun is not about showing everyone how big your balls are. Plus, when you conceal you still have the element of surprise.

• Luke September 22, 2022 at 3:45 pm #

Statistically this is wrong.
      FBI stats have shown consistently for years that another gun in the area deters 2,500,000 violent crimes without ever firing a shot.

Yes, having a firearm makes you a target, so does not having one.

Either way, this dumb —— in the video should be charged with reckless endangerment. Not having his weapon in a proper holster tells me he has no regard for his own safety let alone others. And now if his weapon is used to commite a murder, in some states he will be just as liable.

3. Monte September 21, 2022 at 10:26 pm #

Unless you have a retention holster similar to police holsters, conceal the weapon. You don’t need any unpleasant surprises

4. Skip September 21, 2022 at 10:48 pm #

LEOs receive extensive training in “weapon retention.” If you’re going to open carry (I don’t – I believe it tactically disadvantageous), you should get that training from a qualified instructor. And by all means, use a Level III retention holster and a proper belt.I was involved in an incident, on duty, where a deranged guy tore a fellow officer’s retention holster from his expensive gun belt. Fortunately the bad guy was subdued as he tried to get the gun free from the retention devices.

• Adamsallycat September 22, 2022 at 5:57 pm #

We will never get facts from Liberal media. LEFTIST media in fact are apart of the gun grab in the United States. FBI statics prove, people are far less likely the victim of a crime if having a legal conceal carry. Only an absolute idiot would not have it secured in a holster. Even the Cowboys and Outlaws from yester year wild west, knew how to properly store and carry a firearm. One man’s catastrophy for common sense, can’t be societies emergency to disarm themselves. I hate these mental gymnastics by the left to convince law abiding citizens to disarm. It’s garbage reporting for narrative and agenda.

• ReadThePostDummy September 22, 2022 at 8:59 pm #

Dude, did you read the actual article? It’s talking about the likelihood of someone taking a firearm if you’re openly carrying, especially if it’s unsecured like in the video.

• Buddy C September 22, 2022 at 10:54 pm #

Did YOU read the article…? Whether it was visible or not is irrelevant when you’re carrying a gun, unsecured in a pocket. That is CONCEALED CARRY all day, every day. This is a failure of concealed carry. And also a loser with ZERO awareness of his surroundings. We solved open carry worries with retention holsters DECADES ago.

5. Ryan Ransom September 22, 2022 at 6:49 am #

Pocket carry isn’t open carry…conflating it as such just makes the author sound ignorant. And obviously the only element of surprise was for the criminal who took the poorly concealed pistol from the man who has no situational awareness.

• Cory September 22, 2022 at 9:57 am #

The author argues they cannot find much on conceal disarming yet writes an entire article on a man who was CONCEALING HIS FIREARM! I love the logic of these authors 🤷‍♂️

• Matthew Maruster September 22, 2022 at 11:57 am #

I get where you’re coming from, the victim wasn’t purposely carrying openly. But if the victim’s firearm was concealed, how would the suspect see it? So the victim intended to carry concealed, but in a practical sense, he might as well have been carrying openly. It’s quite all right if you disagree or see it differently.

• Matthew Maruster September 22, 2022 at 12:07 pm #

If I put a gun in my pocket and it only covers half the gun, am I carrying concealed or open? Sure there is a legal definition of concealed and open, but practically is it concealed? I would say no. You’re right, proper pocket carry would not qualify as open carry. But poor concealment, in practice, is no different than open carry, everyone knows you have the gun and where it is. Perhaps I didn’t do a good job of explaining my reasoning clearly in the article. Or maybe you still disagree, which is okay.

6. Con September 22, 2022 at 7:22 am #

The best place to carry a gun is across your front right above your privates. Nobody knows us there. If they did they’d have to reach around you know to get it. Then it was locked down probably going to get it. A lot of people want people to see the gun. I was at a gas station guy got his gun on his hip back to me and it’s sitting there looking at me. I try to say something to him but he had the attitude like I’m Superman. Now call somebody has to do is bust them upside his head. What’s he going to do it’s too late. Now you’re there on the ground leaking. While this person got your gun. So now your balls ain’t that big no more. So many people are making themselves targets. Criminal want a gun all they got to do is follow another criminal you. It’s like having hundreds of dollars hanging around your neck. And you’re saying come rob me. You contributed to the crime which makes you a criminal..

• Huck September 22, 2022 at 12:36 pm #

I’m a fat guy so lmao that’s impossible

7. Jerry September 22, 2022 at 7:52 am #

Carry concealed period. Your advertising ,when open carrying, shoot me first. The criminal sees the open carry as a threat. If you are going to open carry better pay attention to your surroundings and have a heck
    Of retention on the holster. IMO

8. Tom Black September 22, 2022 at 1:59 pm #

The caption on this article says another and another making it sound like this is a regular happening. I open carry but I have a retention holster and I do not worry about someone pulling my gun on me because of this.
    If this article is meant to be informative it certainly should have had a more attractive lead in than put those of us that do open carry on the offensive before we ever start reading.

9. Tom C September 22, 2022 at 2:12 pm #

This is such nonsense to bolster anti gun policies.
    Most gun owners and Open or Concealed Carry persons take a much more responsible approach to their Rights. They learn and practice safety on multiple levels.

Was the carrier negligent in some way? Maybe.
    But, the brazenness of the perp to steal a gun is not easy to dismiss either. The amount of incidents where a legally owned gun is used for the proper reasons is hidden from the public every day by the MSM.

But, I Digress.

• frank b September 22, 2022 at 4:46 pm #

Open carry is like a bank posting how much money they have and leaving the vault open

10. Dale September 22, 2022 at 8:19 pm #

How many articles has the author penned on concealed carry success stories?

11. Buddy C September 22, 2022 at 10:45 pm #

Clearly NONE of you actually read anything but the title… It was taken FROM HIS POCKET! Meaning this is actually, in fact and by definition, a concealed carry failure. NOT an open carry failure.

This man clearly had no awareness of his surroundings, let alone any kind of reaction time to speak of. If I feel ANYTHING around my sidearm. I’m swinging elbows first and I will find out who/what it was after I safely have the weapon in my own hands.

12. Walt September 23, 2022 at 6:07 am #

The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to keep morons who think they’re the “good guy with a gun’ from supplying them with a gun .

13. Marshall September 23, 2022 at 12:01 pm #

Situational awareness is the best defense to prevent these type events. And this man was definitely not aware of the environment or activity / proximity of the people around him. I try to keep at least four to five feet between myself and others when possible as well as keep my arm over my weapon if this is not possible.

14. Dave September 23, 2022 at 12:06 pm #

I’m in the same group that has already said open carry opens up too many variables that disappear when you carry concealed. Our state (Arizona) has Constitutional carry and open carry and I do fully support that but my choice is to always carry concealed. It just makes more sense to me that advertising your capabilities is unwise.

Either way I support the people that decide on open carry and you’ll see plenty in our town.